A good day out for NPL against CU Academy

Match reports courtesy of Capital Football

PS4 National Premier League

Tuggeranong United 5 (Marco Gayer 13’, 14’, Sam Shadbolt 29’, Andrew Slavich 58’, Jonathan Reis (pen) 90+5’) CU Academy 2 (Tomas Krklec 4’, 12’)
(Kambah 2)

Tuggeranong claimed a first league win since Friday 1st August 2014 with a 5-2 win over the CU Academy at Kambah. The success snapped an 18-game losing streak and pushed United up to fifth on the ladder after two rounds. Such has been the paucity of success at United sine the heady days of Federation Cup glory and Westfield FFA Cup runs, that the win was greeted with scenes of celebration in the home dressing room as the relief appeared palpable. For a stage though it almost looked like Tuggeranong’s nightmare run was set to continue. The Academy, who were looking to bounce back from their heavy opening day loss at Belconnen, roared out of the blocks and, by the twelfth minute, were two goals to the good. Tomas Krklec missed the set-back at McKellar Park and more than made up for his absence by grabbing a brace of goals inside the opening moments. Krklec took advantage of some defensive aberrations to put the visiting side two-goals to the good in next to no time. Crucially for Tuggeranong they not only got back into the match but were able to draw level with the next 120 seconds. Marco Gayer was the man who made the difference as the speedy and stocky front man brushed aside some challengers to net not once, but twice within the space of sixty seconds. That double set-back appeared to rock the Academy boys out of the momentum that they had sustained and the match sung inexorably in favour of the hosts. They were ahead by the half-hour as Sam Shadbolt met a cross to bullet a finish past Finn Jurak and give Tuggeranong a 3-2 lead at the interval. The next goal was always likely to prove pivotal in this type of encounter and it was Tuggeranong who got in thirteen minutes into the second half. Andrew Slavich was one of a handful of players brought into the club to add a goal-scoring edge in the final third in 2016 and he repaid the faith put in him by Head Coach Miro Trninic by notching his first in Tuggeranong colours. Try as they might the Academy couldn’t force their way back into the match and the icing was put on the cake in stoppage time when United was awarded a penalty. Jonathan Reis, who had only been on the field for three minutes, stepped up to slot home and complete the United win.

Tuggeranong United: 1. Tom BARTON, 4. Sam SHADBOLT, 5. Nick FAUST, 7. Nikoloas KALFAS, 8. Daniel ROBERTS, 9. Aaron CASHMAN, 10. Emilio RISTA, 11. Marco GAYER, 14. Andrew SLAVICH, 15. Liam HIGHMORE, 16. Eddie COGGAN
Substitutes used: 3. Jonathan REIS, 13. Deng ALEER DENG
CU Academy: 32. Finn JURAK, 2. Ross COSTANZO, 4. Antoni TIMOTHEOU, 5. Niko KRESIC, 6. Thomas MILICEVIC, 7. Joshua GULEVSKI, 9. Sam WHITHEAR, 11. Tomas KRKELC, 15. Lachlan GRIFFITHS, 13. Daniel SUBASIC, 14. Niko UDJUR
Substitutes used: 1. Sam BROWN, 10. Daniel FABRIZIO, 20. David CARDER
YELLOW CARDS: 4. Sam SHADBOLT, 8. Daniel ROBERTS, 11. Marco GAYER, 15. Liam HIGHMORE (Tuggeranong United), 1. Sam BROWN (CU Academy)
RED CARDS: 4. Antoni TIMOTHEOU (CU Academy)

PS4 NPL20s

Tuggeranong United shared the points with CU Academy as the game at Kambah ended 2-2. Alhaji Sesay and Deng Aleer Deng scored for United who were coming into their first game of the season having had the bye in Round 1. The Academy, heavily defeated by the Blue Devils last week responded well and goals from Nicholas Haridemos and Bul Juach earned them a point from a lively match.

PS4 NPL18s

Tuggeranong United started their season with a convincing 7-2 win over the CU Academy at Kambah with the Academy seeing goalkeeper Malcolm Murta sent off. Jihad Ramos netted a hat-trick for United with further goals coming at semi-regular intervals through Jack Grady, Liam Robertson, Marshall Smythe and Ben Townsley. The Academy scored twice themselves through Mikey Katsoulis and Jackson Paesler but never looked like taking a tangible reward from the encounter. At Deakin Stadium goals from Isaac Hunter and Tyron Demczyszyn gave Canberra Olympic a 2-0 win over Canberra FC inflicting a second defeat of the season on FC and lifting Olympic to fifth.