Match Report – Men’s Capital League Semi Final

Semi Final
White Eagles 4 Tuggeranong United 0

Tuggeranong United have gone crashing out of the Capital League finals after the White Eagles produced a stunning 4-0 victory, with Rory Devlin the star man at the AIS on Saturday. The match was fast paced from the first whistle and the White Eagles were getting some early joy from Zac Schoon, but the final ball was missing for the Eagles winger.

It took only eight minutes for the Eagles to get onto the scoresheet after a free kick on the edge of the box was whipped in for Rory Devlin to head home, the tall midfielder rising high above the Tuggeranong defence. Set piece defending was causing Tuggeranong some real problems, as just minutes later, the Tuggeranong goalkeeper Jake Bradley came to out to punch a corner, missed and Devlin was there to head home his second into an open goal.

Just 10 minutes later and Devlin had his first half hat trick when Bensah Afiabo was taken out on the edge of the box, Devlin stepped up and slotted the free kick perfectly into the top right corner to give the Eagles a 3-0 lead. Tuggeranong were only creating half chances, especially through pacey striker Ciaran Rayment, who managed to break free to the defence on a few occasions, but the goalkeeper came out to meet him well.

The White Eagles were producing a totally dominant display, with Tuggeranong unable to get on the ball and resist the Eagle’s attack. Devlin continued to wreak havoc on the Tuggeranong defence at set pieces as he headed narrowly over the bar on two occasions from corners and it was clear that Tuggeranong were struggling to defend from set pieces.

Devlin completed the perfect half when a corner lead to Matthew Grecl headed the ball at Bradley who saved, but only into the path of Devlin who slotted his fourth goal for the half. Tuggeranong coach Tony Olivera made two changes at half time, in an attempt to get his side back into the game, but the White Eagles once again started the half stronger and looked most likely to add to their lead.

Tuggeranong had a golden opportunity to get one back late in the match as Carl Hynes played in substitute Deng Aleer Deng who worked the ball around the keeper, but fired wide with the shot. The White Eagles will face Monaro on Saturday, with the winner going on to meet ANU in the Grand Final.

Article by Zac Lawrence – courtesy of Capital Football