Tuggies win the NPL18s Grand Final


What an outstanding achievement by out NPL18s boys who have won the Grand Final against the League Winners Canberra Olympic 2-1.  Two early goals to Ryan Cawley made him the hero of the day, but a comprehensive performance from the whole squad is what brought home the trophy!  The match report courtesy of Capital Football is below, but we want to thank the coaching team of Matt Selems and Devan Carter and the massive crowd from across the club that came to watch on Saturday at Deakin.  There were other NPL players, WPL players, State League and Masters players and Junior players and their parents all watching.  What a great club atmosphere we have!  Well done boys!

PlayStation 4® National Premier Leagues
Grand Final
Tuggeranong United 2 (Ryan Cawley 11’, 16’) Canberra Olympic 1 (Dylan Aitolu 84’)

A brace of goals from Ryan Cawley inside the opening sixteen minutes gave Tuggeranong United the PlayStation 4® National Premier Leagues: Capital Football under-18 Grand Final title at Deakin Stadium. Tuggeranong had the perfect start as they took the lead in only the eleventh minute of the match. Creating space on the right flank a deep cross into the area saw Cawley ghost in unmarked to plant a firm downward header past Jamie-Lee Guo in the Olympic goal and into the net. Cawley wasn’t finished there and, just five minutes later, made it 2-0. Again Olympic was culpable defensively allowing the forward way too much space inside the area to steady himself and rifle a drive beyond the despairing Guo. Olympic needed a swift response and they almost got it as early substitute Lachlan Hogg flashed a drive just past the post. But, pushing as they were for a route back into the match, Olympic was always susceptible to the counter and with Cawley in electric form United tried to utilise the speedy front-man as an outlet as often as possible. Indeed, with Liam Robertson playing the number nine role to perfection, holding the ball up bringing others into play, Tuggeranong looked in great shape. Olympic were not league champions for nothing though and almost got a breakthrough two minutes before half-time as a thunderbolt from Samuele D’Ambrosio crashed back off the crossbar leaving the frame of the goal shaking.

The Champions started the second period well with Alexander Ogbonna threatening the Tuggeranong defence with his direct running as Dylan Aitolu began to find some space in the centre of midfield. But Tuggeranong captain Aiodan Beatman and his troops stood strong at the back to deny them the chance to really test United goalkeeper Mitchell Kay. When Kay was called into action he made a diving save to push a Thomas Cosentini shot around the post. Meanwhile Tuggies could have sealed the result after Lee Hynes rounded Guo and crossed into the area but Aldrich Cummins couldn’t keep his header down and a wonderful chance was passed up. With time running out Olympic needed a goal and they duly got one with six minutes remaining. From a free-kick, awarded for a trip on the edge of the penalty area, Aitolu curled a beauty past the wall and into the bottom corner to offer the Champions a lifeline. This made for a nervy last few minutes for Tuggeranong and their large support bade as Olympic pressed for an equaliser to force the match into extra-time. But, despite a late onslaught Tuggeranong held firm for victory.

Tuggeranong United: 1. Mitchell KAY, 2. Reece GURNEY, 3. Aiodan BEATMAN, 4. Angus PHILLIPS, 5. Joshua WILD, 6. Keenan ONG, 7. Alek GOCEVSKI, 8. Benjamin TOWNSLEY-MANN, 9. Ryan CAWLEY, 10. Aldrich CUMMINS, 11. Liam ROBERTSON
Substitutes used: 12. Benjamin MYNOTT, 13. Jude JUDD, 14. Lee HYNES, 15. Aleks VUJIC
Canberra Olympic: 1. Jamie-Lee GUO, 3. George VOLIS, 5. Harry WILLIAMS, 9. Dylan AITOLU, 10. Samuele D’AMBROSIO, 12. Tanveer ANAND, 16. Alexandru EID, 19. Riley BASSO, 22. Alexander OGBONNA, 39. Liam LIGHTFOOT, 99. Thomas COSENTINI
Substitutes used: 4. Daniel FOUAD, 7. Rylie YOUNG, 8. Lachlan HOGG, 14. Patrick ODURO
Discipline: YELLOW CARDS: 99. Thomas COSENTINI (Canberra Olympic)
Match Officials: Alex TWOMEY (referee), Hamish DRIVER-RAE, Julian NICHOLS (assistant referees), Jose IZURIETA (4th official)

DSC_96101_web  DSC_95961_web  DSC_96871_web